Sunday, August 21, 2011

Teaching old dog new tricks

Apparently there is a very smart 12 year old dog in Missoula Montana that can do all sorts of written or oral math questions typical of a first grader.  He answers with the correct number of barks if the math answer is less than 10 at least 85% of the time.
"6 - 2 =  arf arf arf arf"
"How many points if you score a touchdown?  arf arf arf arf arf arf arf"
How many people in the room  "arf arf arf" etc.

Check out the story about Beau the Labrador Retriever. and a related video


This year I turned 40 years old and I've been reminded as I walk onto the high school campus that I'm not a spring chicken or (gasp) cool anymore.  In fact I'm the same age as many of the student's parents.  And we legally are guardians to three high school students this year -- Nickolay and Gleb from Moscow and Taylor from Alaska.  It's the normal return to fall as the Northern Lights Hockey team starts up again, our family's labor of love.  As we go to the airport to pick up our new family members this morning...I'm hoping this old dog will be able to learn some new tricks this year.   And just like Beau, may I not be able to understand the concept of zero. 
May we have lots of fun, lots of joy, lots of memories!